Friday 1 May 2015

Stumped by a porcupine ball

I sometimes feel this way but I really don't know everything.
While I can claim knowledge of many things, I have never made the claim that I know everything. Nevertheless, some of my friends are of the firm opinion that I do know everything (hence the ScottyPedia nickname) and in turn try their hand at stumping me with an item I know litte or nothing about.

My friend and media colleague, Nickisha McClean-Parris, has a food-based blog and decided to test the depths of my knowledge recently with this 'simple' query: what is a porcupine ball?
Errr ... I don't know. What is this sorcery you speak of?
Having not heard of this before outside of the animal kingdom, I asked if this was what you referred to when a porcupine tries to protect itself from an enemy, balling itself up to expose his quills to ward off the attack. I was wrong.

She further explained that this was a food item. I correctly guessed that the 'porcupine' name referred to its general appearance but could get no further concerning its composition.

After revelling in her glee at seeing me flounder, she finally revealed the details of this delicacy to me.

Porcupine balls are made from seasoned mincemeat and uncooked rice. After mixed together, they are then cooked in a spaghetti sauce, sometimes sprinkled with cheese.
Meat and potatoes ... YUMMY!!!!!!!
As shown in the picture above, you can pair them with mashed potatoes and even bread as a second day meal.

So, this presented a rare occasion where ScottyPedia did some new learning. And I'm passing it on to you. From what I've heard, it takes about 15-30 minutes to prepare and an hour to cook.
Look at those prickly globes of yumminess!
If you're interested in this and other off-the-beaten-path recipes, please feel free to visit Nickisha's blog via this link.

As for me, I await the opportunity to taste this delicacy as soon as Nickisha finds the time to make it. I'll surely let you all know how that culinary experience goes, whenever it happens! (I have a birthday coming up, so I just might wing it for then!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage you to comment freely and express your views on any matter discussed. All that I ask is that you be respectful of others and that you keep the obscenities to a minimum, please.

Scotty Ranking© says so!
ScottyPedia forever!